So as you can see I love Eggs!!! I have teamed with the Iowa Egg Council to share some of the recipes I have come to enjoy with eggs. The great thing is all these recipes are FREE on their web site...www.iowaegg.org(click this link for this and more recipes) ENJOY!
Here is the recipe I have chosen to share today...
Breakfast Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
50M TOTAL TIME
10M PREP TIME
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. seasoning blend
- 2 Tbsp. goat cheese crumbles
- 2 Tbsp. harissa
- chives for garnish
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Dry, then rub with a small amount of olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and carefully pierce the skin several times with a sharp knife or fork.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or under sweet potatoes are tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before slicing open, lengthwise, and adding the scrambled egg mixture.
- During the last 10 minutes of baking the sweet potatoes, prepare your bell pepper and onion by dicing into small pieces. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat with the remaining olive oil.
- Add the bell pepper and onion to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. While the veggies are cooking, crack the eggs into a small dish, add your seasoning blend, and whisk.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bell pepper and onion, then add the fresh spinach. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes or until the eggs are fully cooked and the spinach is wilted and evenly mixed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the baked sweet potatoes to a plate. Carefully stuff the scrambled egg mixture into the opening of the baked sweet potato. Top with goat cheese crumbles, harissa, and chopped chives, if using. Serve hot, accompanied by any leftover spinach, bell pepper, or onion as a side salad.
This recipe was developed for the Incredible Egg by Egg Enthusiast Cara Harbstreet, RD.